Sunday, March 29, 2015

Confessions of a Beginning Birder -Spring

The first day of spring didn’t look anything spring-like what with the snow and the cold, but today, the second day of spring, you could tell that something was different. I was out this morning looking for ducks along the river. When I drove up to my viewing spot I was surprised to see a canoe on the river. Maybe they were getting some early practice in for the regatta? 

Well there went any hopes I had of finding ducks because they would have fled from the canoe. Even so there was quite a lot of bird activity in the trees, juncos, blue jays, a Hairy woodpecker, titmice and chickadees. I looked around hoping that I might find some new spring arrivals, but they were all the usual winter mix.

I moved further down the river, but any ducks had already fled from the canoe that had gone through. I parked the car and walked across the bridge. As I did so I became more and more aware of something that had been missing…and there it was, the dawn chorus, starlings singing, grackles grackling, red winged blackbirds her-ko-leeing, chickadees phee-o-beeing, blue jays calling, crows cawing, a pileated was also making a racket and a few hooded mergansers that had returned only to find me there were also making noise. Two sparrows (song sparrows I think) were flitting among the bushes. One lit on top of a branch and sang a lovely little melody. I just stood there and drank in the sound of all the birds singing letting it chase away the winter blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment